i love islamic e-mails. here is an e-mail that i translated from Arabic so you can read it. i hope my friends read this because i know if i sent it to them as it is, even the arabs will delete it (u know who you are) any way:
The restrictions on joking in islam:
- Must not be at the expense of our religion (who would do that? ISLAM ROCKS!)
- Must be true (bukhari: the prophet used to never joke except that he spoke the truth)
- Must not make anyone afraid [especially people who joke around with knives (OR WORSE!)]
- Must not be at the expense of anyone or to put ANY HUMAN down (I owe a million presidents sincere apologies)
- It must not be excessive (you know, every other word)
- Choose the right people. Don't go to a homeless person who can barely cover his awrah and joke about someone's wardrobe (yes its out of style, but at least its there)
- To be the proportion of salt in food (Jokes: Total conversation as Salt: Meal)
- NO BACKBITING!
- Choose the right times, for God's sake! Dont wait until everyone is mourning for a guy that just died then decide to prepare for a career of stand-up comedy.
BTW, these guidelines make stand-up comedy haram because the jokes are excessive and stand up comedy is almost always at the expense of others and is not like salt in food. Wallahu a3lam. I love you people of God.